Welcome to Westmont High School!
At Westmont High School, our priority is to develop compassionate citizens who give service to their community to create a better world for all people. Our entire school community has worked together to create a high school and culture that is truly exceptional. Westmont is the most improved high school in Illinois and the country, and one of the top-performing schools in the nation. Here are just some of our accomplishments:
- After earning recognition as a Model Professional Learning Community in 2019, in February of 2020 Westmont received the DuFour Award as the top Professional Learning Community in the United States. To earn this award, an intense application process was completed. The selection committee included several of the top educational leaders and authors in the country. The award included $ 25,000 which is the largest single cash prize given in American education. Over 20,000 schools world-wide practice PLC concepts, and WHS was selected as the very best. Please watch our award-winning video on YouTube at Westmont High School DuFour Award 2019.
- Every year since the Illinois State Board of Education has been ranking all Illinois schools, Westmont has earned its highest rating of Exemplary. Westmont also holds the distinction of having the highest percentage of students living in economic poverty in a regular high school to receive this rating.
- In three separate national rankings, Westmont High School is the most improved school in Illinois and the nation. In the oldest national ranking system, the Washington Post/Jay Mathews Challenge Index, Westmont is ranked number 1 of regular high schools in Illinois (2020) and in the top 1% in the nation. In the U.S. News and World Report rankings (2020) Westmont is the most improved in Illinois and the nation. In the Great Schools rating system, Westmont scored a 10 out of 10 and has the most improved score of any high school in Illinois or the nation.
- Westmont’s graduation rate is one of the best in the United States with 99% of students earning all graduation requirements on time over the past 7 years. WHS also boasts a 100% graduation rate for all African-American and Latino students over the past 7 years.
- Test scores on the Illinois mandate state exam (SAT) are among the best in the state, and WHS leads all schools in our economic sector (please go to Westmont High School Illinois School Report Card under Academic Progress and Performance Scatterplots for details). The College Readiness Score for WHS (criteria designed by U.S. News and World Report) is also in the top 1% in Illinois and the nation.
- WHS also has the highest rating for school climate and culture earning the top rating for a supportive environment for students in the University of Chicago’s 5 Essentials Survey.
There are so many opportunities for participation in athletics, the Fine Arts, and clubs/ organizations at Westmont. We take the most pride in the care and respect that students and staff demonstrate toward each other on a daily basis.
Westmont High School is proud of our students’ achievement and school accomplishments, but we are also passionately committed to continuous improvement in all that we do as a school community. We greatly appreciate the support of our parents and all members of the CUSD201 family.
Work Hard – Be Compassionate – Dream Big – Go Sentinels!
2017 Illinois Principal of the Year
2018 National Principal of the Year Finalist