About School Social Work
High School can be a time for great learning and a time to mature.This occurs not only in the classroom, but also in students' social and emotional lives. The journey toward young adulthood, and ultimately independence, can sometimes be a difficult one for students and their families. Ms. Wiles, the Social Worker at WHS, strives to assist you through this process. Some of the issues she addresses either here at school or through referral to outside resources include:
- Depression and other mood disturbances
- School Avoidance
- Eating Disorders
- Drug & Alcohol Use
- Self Injuring Behavior
- Social Skill development
- Peer Relationships
- Communication skills
- Stress due to the lack of basic needs
- Familial Concerns
What else does a school social worker do?
- In general, school social workers:
- Identify needs that interfere with learning and work with students to problem-solve these issues and get them the services they need
- Work with both general and special education students and their families to problem solve social, emotional and behavioral issues through assessment, consultation with school staff, through the development and implementation of behavior management plans, and through providing indirect and direct services
- Help to bridge the school, home and community to help students be as successful as possible
- Assist with a range of issues from connecting students to community resources and mental health referrals, mediating peer issues, collaborating with other staff on school-wide concerns, crisis intervention, proactive social/emotional learning and social/emotional/behavioral concerns
Ms. Maggie Waspi
Hi Westmont High School students and families! I am the social worker for Westmont High School and am here to help. I work closely with the teachers, counselors, administrators and other important school staff in order to best support the students and families of WHS. If you have a question and are not certain who to ask, please do not hesitate to contact me! If it is not me, I will be happy to connect you with the appropriate person. I thoroughly enjoy working with the students, families and the wonderful Westmont community.
I have been working as a school social worker in Illinois for over 7 years, and at Westmont High School for over 3 years. After receiving my Bachelor's of Social Work (BSW) from Trinity Christian College, I went on to Aurora University where I received my Master's of Social Work (MSW) with a specialization in school social work.